Ah, weekends. Those greatly anticipated forty-eight hours where you (hopefully) aren’t subjected to deadlines, partake in only voluntary commitments and potentially procrastinatable tasks. These are the days I like to take some time to pamper myself. I know I can’t be the only one that loves the feeling of a good skin exfoliation followed by a full body moisturizing. What I love even more is the ability to make a fresh, revitalizing, moisturizing and delicious body scrub in my kitchen with the simplest of ingredients in only a matter of minutes.
Today I’m happy to share one of my favourite DIYs, the CucoBasil Body Scrub. Reminiscent of a delicious drink I once had on a girl’s trip to NYC, its ingredients consist of cucumber, basil, coconut oil, and sugar.
The cucumber is cooling, soothing, hydrating and softening to the skin while simultaneously being chalk full of antioxidants that can help reduce inflammation. Sugar acts as a natural, environmentally friendly exfoliant. It gently buffs away old skin to reveal healthier, newer skin. The coconut oil acts as an extremely effective moisturizer, leaving the skin looking supple with a great glow. The combination of these three ingredients mixed with basil creates a fresh, invigorating scent that will have you eagerly awaiting your next shower!
Disclaimer: You may want to eat it. Technically, you can.
CucoBasil Body Scrub Recipe
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup of chopped cucumber (Approximately 2/3 of a cucumber)
- 6 basil leaves (This is optional if you don’t have basil on hand)
- 1/3 cup of softened or melted coconut oil
- Mason Jar
- Peel and chop your cucumber then portion out your cup.
- Wash basil, pat dry, and moderately slice leaves.
- Toss cucumber and basil into the blender. Add sugar, and then add coconut oil on top.
- Blend ingredients on high for approximately one minute or until you reach a good consistency*
- Pour into a sealable mason jar and you’re ready to go!**
* If your cucumbers are cold, some of your coconut oil might solidify, and you would see some white bead-looking bits in the scrub. This is totally ok!
** Remember, while the benefits are abundant, using oils in the shower can cause the floor of the shower to become slippery. Be mindful of this!
** Storage Recommendations: Due to its fresh ingredients, this scrub should be stored in the refrigerator. It lasts for about 1-2 weeks, but you should monitor its freshness before each use. When you’re ready to use it, take bit of the scrub out of the jar and place it in shower safe container.
Off with the old skin and in with the new!
– Aneeka Ward